Saturday, March 7, 2009

In the midst of TRIALS...

As you know, most of Sara's tests have yielded predominantly bad news. However, one of her tests recently showed a little bundle of HOPE!


Baby Sullivan

That's right! We are expecting a baby on October 22, 2009.

We found out 2 days prior to the mammogram (back in Misawa) that Sara was pregnant. The doctors are hopeful and think that she will be able to carry this baby to term. Surgery is being delayed a few weeks to allow for the baby to develop all of his vital organs (I think it's a boy). Sara will be through her first trimester by the time she is put under anesthesia for surgery.

The doctors have assured us that delaying surgery a few weeks will have no ill effect on Sara. The oncologist told us that, based on the size of the tumor, she has "had cancer for years." We were shocked when he told us that.

So, the upcoming surgery is going to be as simple as possible. We have opted for a single mastectomy with no reconstruction for the time being. They tell us that the shorter the amount of time she is on the operating table, the better the chances are for the baby. We will deal with reconstruction at a later date. There are TONS of risks associated with this and there are not too many case studies of pregnant women with cancer. We are going to treat Sara aggressively and trust that the LORD will take care of the little one. The docs have told us that the placenta will protect the baby from the chemotherapy, and that our primary concern is going to be a low birth weight.

I'm having a hard time contemplating how there can be destructive cancerous cells less than 12" away from a new life inside of Sara. It is as if there is a battle going on within her. We hope and pray and trust that the new life forming in her belly will overpower those which are attempting to destroy.

So, in the midst of trials...there is JOY!

Please add this to your prayers. Hopefully, this will be the last "shock" that we drop on you for some time.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing if your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. --James 1:2-4

17 comments:

This Crazy Cross family said...

James 1:2-3 is my favorite bible verse! Here is some more hope. My sister-in-law has a best friend who had breast cancer at the same time she was pregnant. There little girl, Faith, is now two years olf and mom has been cancer free for two years. She is a strong Christian and wanted you to know that she loves you and is praying for you as well as us. We can't stop thinking about you and waiting to see Sara's mom glow when you return. Take care of each other and soak up that Hawaiian sun for us too! God Bless
Ryan, Sarah and Micah

Jennifer said...

I'm so glad to hear some good news in all this. I will pray along with you that the Lord will take care of your new baby and Sara! Congratulations!

mikeandmelissafisher said...

Yea! Congratulations! So excited for you both and happy that you have some joy in all of this...praying for you!

The Rurkas said...

WOW! Congratulations! We check your blog all the time to see how everything is going and are so happy to hear the good news. Keep fighting you guys!

Mindy Haig said...

OMG! I am crying like a baby right now! I am so happy for you! The Lord works in strange ways! Perhaps you were meant to spend this time near family! We are here if you need anything!
Love Ya!
Mindy

Unknown said...

I am so happy for your good news. You deserve some good news right now. I am praying all the time for you guys (I will now include baby Sullivan!!)! We miss you!!

Love, Rachael and James

UNKYBUNCH said...

We are thrilled for you guys! It is so neat to see how God intertwines all of these events and in the midst of pain gives you a little miracle! We will be adding little baby Sullivan to our prayers as well! I had surgery under general anesthesia with Nathan when I was around 15 weeks. I have been told by many doctors that the safest time to have surgery is during the second trimester and the babies usually make it through with flying colors! Praying that God gives you PEACE as your emotions as a mommy kicks in...pregnancy is scary enough without all the other stuff going on! We love you guys and are praying for ALL of you!

The Buckwalters said...

Again, I am soooooooooooo excited for you guys! Baby Sullivan has been added to our prayers! (I am 'secretly' hoping he/she will be born on my birthday!) Love you lots!!

Mom to 5 bugs said...

congratulations on your baby!
we have been praying for you!
-the Reichs
(Kyle)
P.S. When we go to Hawaii in the summer we might see you if you are still there!!

ptmeg said...

We're so excited that God has given you hope in the midst of trials...we're praying for you like so many others I know are. Isaiah 42 has been a real and close comfort to me in time of hardship, I hope you can hear God through it as well. It's what Paul and I are praying for you!
Love,
Megan and Paul
“Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name, you are mine.
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the Lord your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior. I give Egypt as your ransom, Cush and Seba in exchange for you.
Because you are precious in my eyes,
and honored, and I love you, I give men in return for you, peoples in exchange for your life.
Fear not, for I am with you; I will bring your offspring from the east, and from the west I will gather you. I will say to the north, Give up,
and to the south, Do not withhold; bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the end of the earth, everyone who is called by my name,
whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.” Isaiah 43:1-7

Taylor Design said...

What a gift from God! That little baby couldn't be loved anymore by any other parents. God works in mysterious ways and we couldn't be happier for you both. Melanie & Joe Taylor

hyatt4 said...

We are praying for you ALL (I was going to say you two, but now it's you THREE!!!!!). I'm at a loss for words at the moment (plenty of tears, just no words...). Just know there is a whole lot of love for you here - and let us know what we can be doing to make the transition smooth when you get back. Sara, you are going to be the cutest preggo EVER! Only God could have thought up the ultimate ray of hope and sunshine in this situation. As Hyatt said the other day, this baby truly is fearfully and wonderfully made! Love, Hyatt and Nicole

Welcome said...

Congratulations on the baby! We know this is what you have wanted and we have confidence you will deliver a healthy baby. (It sounds like someone wants a boy!). :) You guys have been in our prayers. Larry updates me every day on the blog. We're both so concerned, but so hopeful and now happy for you that you're expecting a baby. If any two (now three) people can pull through this it is you guys. We're thinking of you ~ Teresa, Larry and Abigail Sullivan

Montgomery said...

Maybe your "hope" will be born on our "grace"'s birthday--the 17th! Love you guys!

Chad, Kim, Shelby and Hayden said...

Congrats on Baby Sullivan! You three are in our thoughts and prayers always. Sara you are a tough girl and there is not a battle you can't win.

Megs said...

YAY!! I'm so excited!! I can't wait to meet him/her!! My family and I will continue to keep ya'll in our prayer and little baby sulli :)

Love/Miss ya'll!!

Megan

Amy Niebuhr said...

We are so happy for you. What a great blessing. We will continue to pray for the three of you.